What I definitely had not anticipated was the size and feel of the city. All of the buildings put up during the Soviet times were enormous and the streets were very wide. The effect this has is to make a person feel very small. I had expected Minsk to look more similar to other European cities, but it wasn't so, it felt almost like a large US city but with significantly less inhabitants. However, I was also surprised by the pedestrian friendliness of the city planning. The sidewalks were wide, the metro and the bus systems seemed very efficient as well. However, it reminded me that this city was built for functionality with streets wide enough for tanks and military vehicles, and to make sure it would be easy to facilitate the movement of many people from point A to point B.
Pictures from Independence Square in Minsk, Belarus.
![]() |
| Red Church of Simon and Helen is in the background. The glass dome in the foreground is actually part of the ceiling of an underground shopping center. |


No comments:
Post a Comment